1. Membership Drive – Haven’t received your FY22 dues yet, but certainly hope you are still with us and will join or renew your membership in your civic association. Yes – there is plenty time to submit your dues payment, but hoping most will join or renew before school, sports and work activities divert your attention. Dues are again $10.00 per household whether you rent or own. Besides your dues, we’ll need your name(s), street address, phone number(s), email address(es) and what of that you want listed in our next directory.
Use PayPal to pay your dues (Click “Here”) but, it will cost you an extra $1.00 to cover their transaction costs. Or use your online banking service or snail mail to dispatch $10.00, payable to “CAWSV”, P.O. Box 2204, Springfield, VA 22152.
If you have chosen to not join or renew your membership, please save us the cost of a postage stamp and the effort to stuff an envelope by letting me (email@example.com) know.
2. 25 MPH Speed Limit in the Village – School starts Monday, 23 August. Many of our children walk or ride bikes to their two elementary schools and/or to school bus stops. The speed limit on all our streets other than Rolling Road is 25 MPH, but even that is too fast when our kids are going to and from school, playing in front yards, walking on sidewalks, crossing the street, or riding bikes in the street. Slow down! Be especially cautious when backing your vehicles out of driveways knowing that our children may be too excited to exercise caution. And please direct your delivery drivers to also go slowly. Suggest all drivers review the changes to pedestrian right-of-way even where there is no marked crosswalk.
- 23 August – First Day of School
- 6 September – Labor Day (FCPS student holiday 9/03 through 9/06)
- 14 October – Village Meeting, 7:30 PM, vote to Ratify FY21 Audit Report, vote to pass a FY22 Budget Proposal with markups if/as needed and vote to elect new Board of Directors.
4. Home for Sale - 6910 Brisbane Street - https://www.redfin.com/VA/West-Springfield/6910-Brisbane-St-22152/home/9773532
5. Free Summer Concert Series – Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at Burke Lake Park (see remaining schedule below). 2 Silos Beer and Peterson’s Ice Cream will be for sale. A food truck will also be there.
Local student talent will perform opening acts. Come early to get settled with your picnic blanket, food, drinks, and enjoy the whole show! For last minute weather cancellations, call 703/324-7469 one hour before the schedule start of the event. Remaining schedule:
- 25 August - Artist to be determined
- Date TBD in September - make up for last night’s rain out - Practically Einstein (Vintage Rock)
6. Covid-19 – Due to the spread of the Delta variant, Fairfax County is now recommending that everyone, including individuals fully vaccinated against COVID-19, wear a mask in public indoor settings. Also, those with compromised immune systems are encouraged to get a 3rd dose of the Pfizer BioNTech or Moderna vaccination. You can learn more about third doses here.
Click here Vaccines.gov - Find COVID-19 vaccine locations near you to find who has which vaccine and to schedule an appointment to include those 12+ years of age.
7. Duck Donuts - the popular doughnut shop that lets its customers top their own sweets will open a store in West Springfield at 8404A Old Keene Mill Road (where Exquisite Jewelers is now). It may be in 2022, but it will be Duck Donuts’ ninth in Northern Virginia and/or suburban Maryland. Each shop produces fresh vanilla cake doughnuts that customers coat, top and drizzle as they like. Thanks to Kathy D’Amato for this report.
8. BOD Elections – We elect a new Board of Directors during our October meeting. Positions that are needing new blood are President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Some currently serving may be willing to continue, but a couple of us need to transfer the responsibility while we are still here and can help as needed. Please let me know if you will consider stepping up. It isn’t hard or time consuming; I guarantee - but may be good for you and the health of our organization to have some transition, continuity time. Give it some thought and let’s talk.
Stay safe good people!