1. CAWSV Membership – Dues for Membership Year 2022 (10/1/2021 – 9/30/2022) are $10.00 per household whether you rent or own. You can email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) to provide your name(s), street address, phone number(s), email address(es) and what of that you want listed in our next directory.
Use PayPal to pay your dues (Click “Here”) but, it will cost you an extra $1.00 to cover their transaction costs. Or use your online banking service or snail mail to dispatch $10.00, payable to “CAWSV”, P.O. Box 2204, Springfield, VA 22152.
You will receive a thank you receipt once you have paid and then not receive any more of these weekly reminders. We do ask that you help us with the drive by informing your neighbors about our civic association.
2. National Museum United States Army – Finally visited and it is great! Entry is free, but you will need a timed entry ticket. It is more than worth your time and just a short distance from our village. Click here to access the museum’s website for more information National Museum of the United States Army (thenmusa.org).
3. Oak Leaf Itch Mite - There have been recent reports of bug bites of unknown origin. It appears the cause is the microscopic Oak Leaf Itch Mite.
The mites are feeding on the cicada eggs that have been laid in trees - especially oak trees. By taking normal steps to prevent mosquito and tick bites when spending time outdoors, you will also be able to prevent bites of the Oak Leaf Itch Mite. The good news is that these are expected to go away in the fall and not return next year. For more information about the Oak Leaf Itch Mite: https://extension.psu.edu/oak-leaf-itch-mite.
4. Supper Ready? Bob & Jane Lomax had a guest for supper just recently, but he only stayed for the salad before moseying on. We are blessed!
- 14 August - Free Children’s Entertainment at Burke Lake Amphitheater featuring Blue Sky Puppet Theater (Puppets)
- 18 August – Free Concert at Burke Lake Park featuring The Colin Thompson Band (Blues Rock)
- 23 August – First Day of School
- 6 September – Labor Day (FCPS student holiday 9/03 through 9/06)
- 14 October – Village Meeting, 7:30 PM, vote to Ratify FY21 Audit Report, vote to pass a FY22 Budget Proposal with markups if/as needed and vote to elect new Board of Directors.
6. Free Summer Concert Series – Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at Burke Lake Park (see remaining schedule below). 2 Silos Beer and Peterson’s Ice Cream will be for sale. A food truck may also be there.
Local student talent will perform opening acts. Come early to get settled with your picnic blanket, food, drinks, and enjoy the whole show! For last minute weather cancellations, call 703/324-7469 one hour before the schedule start of the event.
- 18 August - The Colin Thompson Band (Blues Rock)
- 25 August - Artist to be determined
- TBD September - make up for last night’s rain out - Practically Einstein (Vintage Rock)
And there are also Free Children’s Entertainment on Saturdays starting at 10:00 AM at the Burke Lake Amphitheater. Last scheduled event is 14 August featuring Blue Sky Puppet Theater (Puppets).
7. Covid-19 – Due to the spread of the Delta variant, Fairfax County is now recommending that everyone, including individuals fully vaccinated against COVID-19, wear a mask in public indoor settings. Click here Vaccines.gov - Find COVID-19 vaccine locations near you to find who has which vaccine and to schedule an appointment to include those 12+ years of age.
8. Plastic Grocery Bag Tax – Have received no responses for or against County’s plan to impose a 5-cent tax on most disposable plastic bags provided by grocery stores, convenience stores and drugstores. I am an environmentalist and do favor banning plastic bags without tying it to yet another tax for additional county or state revenue.
Our real estate taxes have already gone up again. County now wants to tax plastic bag use instead of simply banning them like they did plastic lawn & leaf bags, and some car owners should expect about a $25.00 increase in county car tax for vehicles valued at $20,000 or less. Apparently, low supply and higher demand for used and new cars are pushing prices to record levels and that somehow equates to higher taxes?
Concerning plastic bags, they have set a public input hearing on 14 September starting at 4:30 PM at the Fairfax County Government Center. Your written comments can be submitted to the entire Board by sending your email message to ClerktotheBOS@fairfaxcounty.gov. Or, sign up here to testify at the hearing or by video feed. I would appreciate a “cc” on your testimony even though the CAWSV will not submit testimony.
Bring back the cooler weather! Stay safe good people!