I often think that I am back in the old days of telephone party lines when the landline phone rang often, but hardly ever for any one of us in my dad’s family (we were 2 shorts rings, as I recall and just one of the 7 or 8 rural homes on the party line). Now our home phone also rings too often, and the calls aren’t really for us unless we mistakenly answer the robo caller. Thank goodness for caller ID.
- 24 July - Mr. Gabe & the Circle Time All-Stars, Children’s Songs – see below.
- 28 July – Free Summer Concert at Burke Lake Park - The Road Ducks (Southern Rock) - see below.
- 1 August – Membership Drive Commences (Dues are $10.00 for FY22)
- 23 August – First Day of School
- 6 September – Labor Day (9/03 through 9/06 – FCPS student holiday)
- 14 October – Village Meeting, 7:30 PM, vote to Ratify FY21 Audit Report, vote to pass a FY22 Budget Proposal with markups if/as needed and vote to elect new Board of Directors.
2. Pre-Notification 9-1-1 Coming to County – create a free emergency health profile so your critical medical information can be shared with first responders during an emergency or crisis event. Your emergency health profile will be provided to first responders when you call 9-1-1 including real-time health, medical, emergency contact and your background information that may help them help you. Click on this link to create your free emergency health profile - https://www.emergencyprofile.org/. For more information - Emergency Health Profile | Public Safety Communications (fairfaxcounty.gov).
3. Plastic Grocery Bag Tax - County is preparing ordinance for a 5-cent tax on most disposable plastic bags provided by grocery stores, convenience stores and drugstores. There should be a public input opportunity where you can sign up to speak or send your comments in via email. Sign up to testify here or provide testimony to the entire Board by sending your email message to ClerktotheBOS@fairfaxcounty.gov. Our District Supervisor, Pat Herrity asks that we complete his 2-minute survey to share your feedback.
Reminder – plastic lawn & leaf bags are no longer picked up curbside by commercial trash haulers. Use paper bags, or reusable containers.
4. Vitamins & Supplements – have had some issues purchasing certain OTC vitamin supplements at the store. Apparently there has been more demand than production or so it seems. A nurse suggested I check online and sure enough found what I needed. I ordered mid-morning and by that same afternoon – the supplements were delivered to my home. Maybe those home delivery services are investing in inventory and cornered the market. Life has surely changed; hasn’t it?
5. Free Summer Concert Series – Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at Burke Lake Park (see remaining schedule below). 2 Silos Beer and Peterson’s Ice Cream will be for sale. Our Springfield District Supervisor and his staff are working to ensure a food truck will also be there.
Local student talent will perform opening acts. Come early to get settled with your picnic blanket, food, drinks, and enjoy the whole show! For last minute weather cancellations, call 703/324-7469 one hour before the schedule start of the event.
- 28 - The Road Ducks (Southern Rock)
- 4 - The Johnny Artis Band (Blues, Rock & Roll)
- 11 - Practically Einstein (Vintage Rock)
- 18 - The Colin Thompson Band (Blues Rock)
- 25 - Artist to be determined
Visit Springfield Nights | Park Authority (fairfaxcounty.gov) for more information and to find other summer concerts at Fairfax County Parks.
And there are also Free Children’s Entertainments on Saturdays starting at 10:00 AM at the Burke Lake Amphitheater. Here’s that schedule:
- 24 - Mr. Gabe & the Circle Time All-Stars (Children’s Songs)
- 31 - Marsha and the Positrons (Children’s Songs)
- 7 - Ray Owen (Children’s Songs)
- 14 - Blue Sky Puppet Theater (Puppets
6. Covid-19 – Click here Vaccines.gov - Find COVID-19 vaccine locations near you to find who has which vaccine and to schedule an appointment to include those 12+ years of age.
7. Featured 2021 Directory Advertisers – Look below to the businesses who placed ads in our community directory. If you contact one of them, please let them know you saw their ad there. If you are looking for estimates, consider getting one from one of the advertisers in our directory. Their ads make the hard-copy directory possible. Here’s a summary of their ads that are also on our website:
- The Royster Hearth Group, Tim Royster, Realtor and West Springfield Resident. 571/275-0871, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.roysterhearthgroup.com.
- D2D Computer Services, Bob Havey, Upgrades, Repairs, Troubleshooting, Virus/Spyware Cleanup, Software Installation, Networking plus Website Development & Maintenance. 703/569-8195, email@example.com.
- Rice & Spice, Authentic Thai Lunch and Dinner, Two Alexandria Locations (703/750-1084 at 6466 Landsdowne Drive and 703/339-9775 at 6244 Little River Turnpike), wwwasianineva.com. Supporting Local Schools and Our Community.
- Village West Pool, Kick Back, Relax with Neighbors & Friends for Fun in the Sun, 7008 Elkton Drive, https://villagewestpool.com. Email firstname.lastname@example.org Home of the Village West Vikings Swim Team (www.villagewestvikings.com).
- Mr. Gutter, Owner Richard Sumner, Cleaning, Screening, Repairing and Roof Repairs, 703/323-4671.
- HB Home Services, Harry & Barbara Hink, Home Improvements Inside and Out (Roofing, Siding, Windows, Kitchens, Basement, Additions, Decks and Bathrooms). Complementary Estimates, 703/764-0498, wwwhbservices.biz
- HRM Automotive, Tim O’Connell, ASE Certified Honest, Reliable Mechanics, 703/866-0602, www.hrmautomotive.com, 8086C Alban Road.
- Donna’s Nails, Professional Nail Care for Men & Ladies, 6442 Landsdowne Circle (Corner of Telegraph Road and Beulah Street), 703/339-9510.
- Breathe, Body & Mind – Your Place to Take Care of You, Yoga, Pilates, Barre, Core Conditioning, Strength Training, Personal Training, 703/829-0167, https://breathebodymind.com, Info@breathebodymind.com.
- West Springfield Car Care, Foreign and Domestic Repairs plus VA State Emissions and Inspections, All Major Brand Tires, 8400 Old Keene Mill Road, 703/912-2900.
- Rotary, Join the Rotarians who are “People of Action” Committed to Creating Positive Change in the World. Contact Jim Kirkpatrick at 703/866-7078 for more information. Rotaryofwestspringfield.org
- Comfort One, Heating and Air Conditioning, 1-800/472-2408. Mention Code WS152 for 15% Off. Plus $1,200.00 Off any New Heating & Cooling System (call for details).
- Marcel’s Home Building & Improvement, Custom House & Remodeling, Additions, Concrete & Stone Work, Decks, Garages, etc. Call Marc Bonafe at 571/233-4290 or email email@example.com.
- Windows Plus, LLC, Windows, Doors, Siding, Roofs, Superior in Performance, Honest in Pricing, 703/256-0600, www.WindowsPls.com.
- Home Cleaners4You, Come Home to a Clean Home, Call 703/256-1288 for a Free Phone Estimate. $20.00 Off Move IN/Out & One Time Cleanings.
- Davis Roofing, Residential Roofing Specialists (New, ReRoofing, Repairs), Seamless Gutters and DownSpouts (All Colors), 703/569-3388, www.davis-roofing.net..
- Printing Ideas, Printing, Signage, Banners, Window Displays, Graphic Design and much more, firstname.lastname@example.org or 703/591-1708. These are the folks who print our directories!
We welcome any input you may have to these weekly enews messages. Especially welcome are joyous family announcements, articles or items that may interest others. Hope you can enjoy the slightly cooler weather. Stay safe and healthy!