1. Status of Search for the Next CAWSV President – NNTR (nothing new to report) – maybe it was something I said – or – failed to say? Twenty-two years ago, Mr. Dick Denny stood up to save our civic association when the entire board of directors resigned. He saved “us” then and you can save us now. Whaddya say? Qualifications? Just look at me to see that yes – you can do it and no doubt far better.
2. Village Roads RePaving Schedule - 2022 Statewide Paving Status Map (arcgis.com), Thanks to Jim Kirkpatrick (Sandover Court) and Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity for this heads up for VDOT schedule to resurface many of our village streets. Click on that link to have a look to see which roads are planned for work during 2022. I had been asking VDOT for their schedule, but no answer until now.
3. Celebration of Life – Former neighbors and friends Wayne & Juanita Bliven will be honored with a graveside service with military honors at Arlington National Cemetery at 2:00 PM on 26 April. Both lived beyond 90 years of age enjoying very full lives. If you would like to attend, please RSVP their daughter at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 571/332-5195 for details. A link to view pictures of the service will be available later if you are interested; use same contact information to make that request.
4. County’s Leash Law, Pooper Scooper Laws, etc – Please don’t shoot the messenger! But have received a few complaints about dogs off leash. Check out this link that covers most of what we need to know or required to do for our furry friends - 10 Tips for Responsible Dog Ownership | News Center (fairfaxcounty.gov). Our dog, Sadiqi has escaped a couple times making my wife (not me) as guilty as the next owner but consider this to be just another reminder.
5. Coyote Sighting - Late last week, Gray Hamilton spotted a Coyote in the woods just behind his Barnack Drive home backyard. Bob Lomax has a good video of two raccoons checking out his front yard and driveway. Hopefully you have seen the deer photo on the cover of our directory and thankfully we have fox to help hold down the vermin populations. We encroached on their habitat; they have adjusted to our presence; at least we can be tolerant of them but may want to remind your little people to leave them alone if they also want to be left alone.
6. Community Yard Sale & Free for All – 28 May 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM with 4 June as the Rain Date also 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM. We have time but let me if you plan on participating as a seller, a donator of free stuff or a lemonade stand proprietor. We did have a couple of neighbors volunteer to do what’s needed to make this another success. We all will owe them our gratitude.
We’ll make a list of all participants by address and a general category of items you want to sell or give away free to anyone who happens by. We also attach a map of the village to that list and give each participant several copies to give to your customers to help guide them to other participants.
We’ll put signs out but have to use your front yard instead of the VDOT right of way (sidewalk, verge, curb and median). For those along Rolling Road, please let me know if you do not want a directional sign placed in your yard.
Free stuff should be clearly separated and labeled to keep folks from taking your family pets, children, or other items you don’t want growing legs. Free means free for anyone who stops by. Free stuff has proven to be an enticement for customers to visit. All of this has worked very well in past years but do recommend you spice up your listing.
We’ll also include locations of lemonade/refreshment stands if your youngsters want to get into business.
7. Used Car/Truck Wanted - A village neighbor is searching for a reasonably priced, reliable, used car in good mechanical condition for her daughter. This might be a long shot, but worth a try. If you have such or have a lead on one – let me know please and I’ll forward your input.
- 28 May Community Wide Yard Sale / Free for All
- 30 May Federal Holiday (Memorial Day)
- 4 June Rain Date – Community Yard Sale / Free for All
- 10 June Last Day of School (Early Release)
- 19 June Juneteenth
9. Help Needed - Gary Denny (434/566-6323) is looking for someone to help him this weekend to prep his father’s Edmonton Court home for re-sale. He expects to do some painting, cleaning, and light home maintenance tasks. Gary expects this will be two full days of work opportunity. Hourly wage is negotiable.
10. 2022 Directory Advertisers – We all need a contractor or a business for those tasks that are beyond our time and talent to accomplish. Look to the businesses who placed ads in our community directory and if you contact one of them, please let them know you saw their ad there. If you are looking for estimates, consider getting one from one of the advertisers in our directory.
Their ads make the hard-copy directory possible. I often recommend them if or when I’m asked. For those who can’t find their directory here’s a summary of their ads:
D2D Computer Services, Bob Havey, Upgrades, Repairs, Troubleshooting, Virus/Spyware Cleanup, Software Installation, Networking plus Website Development & Maintenance. 703/569-8195, email@example.com.
Mr. Gutter, Owner Richard Sumner, Cleaning, Screening, Repairing and Roof Repairs, 703/323-4671.
HB Home Services, Harry & Barbara Hink, Home Improvements Inside and Out (Roofing, Siding, Windows, Kitchens, Basement, Additions, Decks and Bathrooms). Complementary Estimates, 703/764-0498, www.hbservices.biz.
HRM Automotive, Tim O’Connell, ASE Certified Honest, Reliable Mechanics, 703/866-0602, www.hrmautomotive.com, 8086C Alban Road.
Donna’s Nails, Professional Nail Care for Men & Ladies, 6442 Landsdowne Circle (Corner of Telegraph Road and Beulah Street), 703/339-9510.
Breathe, Body & Mind – Your Place to Take Care of You, Yoga, Pilates, Barre, Core Conditioning, Strength Training, Personal Training, 703/829-0167, https://breathebodymind.com, Info@breathebodymindcom.
Rice & Spice, Authentic Thai Lunch and Dinner, Two Alexandria Locations (703/750-1084 at 6466 Landsdowne Drive and 703/339-9775 at 6244 Little River Turnpike), www.asianineva.com. Supporting Local Schools and Our Community.
West Springfield Car Care, Foreign and Domestic Repairs plus VA State Emissions and Inspections, All Major Brand Tires, 8400 Old Keene Mill Road, 703/912-2900.
Village West Pool, Kick Back, Relax with Neighbors & Friends for Fun in the Sun, 7008 Elkton Drive, https://villagewestpool.com. Email firstname.lastname@example.org Home of the Village West Vikings Swim Team (www.villagewestvikings.com).
Rotary, Join the Rotarians who are “People of Action” Committed to Creating Positive Change in the World. Contact Jim Kirkpatrick at 703/866-7078 for more information. Rotaryofwestspringfield.org
Comfort One, Heating and Air Conditioning, 1-800/472-2408. Mention Code WS152 for 15% Off. Plus $1,200.00 Off any New Heating & Cooling System (call for details).
Marcel’s Home Building & Improvement, Custom House & Remodeling, Additions, Concrete & Stonework, Decks, Garages, etc 571/233-4290, email@example.com.
Davis Roofing, Residential Roofing Specialists (New, ReRoofing, Repairs), Seamless Gutters and DownSpouts (All Colors), 703/569-3388, www.davis-roofing.net.
Flooring America Fairfax – www.flooringamericastores.com, 703-934-8447, hardwood, carpet, ceramic & porcelain, kitchen, baths, additions and interior remodeling. Free in-home measure.
Property Sisters (The Mary and Cathy Team) – when it’s time to buy or sell. www.propertysistershome.com, 571/276-9421.
NuHome – roofing, windows, siding and doors [plus wind or hail damage. Free estimates, 703/273-0101, www.nuhomeonline.com.
If you get a new neighbor – we’d love to provide them a copy of the 2022 Directory or even better – give you that copy to present to them. Just let me know. By now, I hope you have provided feedback to our Directory Editor, Andrea Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to Steve at Printing Ideas.
11. Closing Gripe Session - I have a home and cell phone but dare not answer either one unless I recognize who is calling. As a kid, my siblings and I would race to answer the phone just to see who would call us and willing to say hello to each of us kids (one at a time) until mom or dad would save them. I also have three email accounts, but don’t open emails unless I recognize a trusted sender. And if I watch a video news clip on my cell phone, it will be interrupted at least once by a 10 – 15 second commercial, too often more than one. Have you ever dashed off to buy TP because those bears nudged your dominant buying motive? Me neither, but ain’t technology great? I know what my son would say, but he’s one of them…
John Cooley, CAWSV