6 more weeks of winter, eh? Thanks Punxsutawney Phil! Suppose we do need a couple more hard freezes to decrease bug & insect populations this spring and summer.
1. Enews Distribution – Trying to defeat email providers that filter or tag messages sent to multiple recipients using the BCC address line, we are trying mail merge to see if we can land the weekly report in your inbox. I, for one am very thankful for our Webmaster’s untiring efforts to sort issues with those email services and to teach this old dawg a new trick. Did it work? Please hit “reply” and then “send” to let me know if we got around the cyber roadblocks and got this edition into your inbox.
You can help by whitelisting President@westspringfieldvillage.org and firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need help doing that, Bob has prepared instructions for AOL (includes yahoo & Verizon), Hotmail, and Gmail (includes ymail) addresses. Bob or I have and will continue to forward them to those addresses reporting missed enews. Bob offers to help if needed. His land line is 703/569-7134, but if you need to leave a message, 703/569-8195 works better since it has Bob’s answering service. Or email him at email@example.com.
2. 2022 Directory – should be available for distribution either this weekend or next. I think you’ll agree that it was an amazing effort by the Editor, Andrea Lewis, but she asks for any constructive comments to help make it even better. If we made an error with your listing - that’s on me, but praise goes to Andrea and Steve at Printing Ideas.
3. Spring 2022 Community Police Academy - Fairfax County Police Department is now accepting applications for the Spring 2022 Community Police Academy This program is designed to give participants a glimpse behind the badge and to provide information about training, policies, and the many units and divisions within FCPD.
The Spring session will meet from 17 March to 21 May. (The Fall session will meet from 15 September to 19 November). Classes are held on ten consecutive Thursday nights, from 6:30 - 10:00 PM. Classes rotate to various police department facilities around Fairfax County.
All participants are required to attend eight of the ten classes to graduate. Further information, including program application, can be found at:
4. For Sale - Solid Oak dining table and eight (8) chairs. Table can be 54" round or 54" X 72" (with 18" leaf). Good used condition. Asking $350 obo. Call Bob or Carol at 703/866-5012.
5. ECHO – food shortages and higher prices affect all, but the vulnerable families suffer most. ECHO volunteers can’t order bulk quantities of needed foods due to the shortages and have to rely heavily on donations of non-perishable foods and hygiene products (cooking oil, masa flour, pancake syrup, muffin/corn meal mix, tortillas, laundry detergent, shaving cream and deodorant). Help keep the food pantry stocked by bringing food donations to ECHO or to one of the remote donation sites listed at the bottom of echo-inc.org homepage. ECHO’s traditional schedule is: Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM and Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, 7:00 - 9:00 PM, as well as one Saturday morning a month (check echo-inc.org for the date each month). When inclement weather causes FCPS to close, ECHO will also be closed. Check ECHO’s website on days when the weather is questionable.
ECHO continues to need new or gently used men’s clothing in small and medium sizes as well as new men’s underwear and shoes. Also need all sizes of pots with lids and 10 - 12” frying pans.
ECHO is looking for volunteers in facilities maintenance, fund-raising, and social media. Time commitments vary from “occasional” to weekly, to daily, depending on the volunteer's availability. ECHO needs a person to manage its Facebook presence and people to handle normal maintenance tasks. ECHO urgently needs a person (or two) to spend 4 to 6 hours a week running the diaper program and some leaders to chair its semi-annual yard sales, or to manage one category of yard sale goods. Also looking for volunteers for its Thank You Letter Committee. For more information on these positions as well as receiving and distribution positions, email Volunteercoordinator@echo-inc.org. For more information about ECHO, click the link to our website.
6. Contractor Recommendations - Last week we asked for recommendations for foundation work and for chimney repair. Here are two responses:
- Foundation Inspection and Repair – Kathy D’Amato had good work done on her home’s foundation by Braddock Construction (Mel Patrick) at 703/926-9603 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chimney Repair – Liz Greene used Henry Merryman (Henry's Masonry) and was pleased with his work and reasonable prices. Henry’s number is 703/508-6942.
7. Rolling Valley ES PTA News - Online Auction, Sunday, 27 March – Friday, 1 April. Bid on a variety of fabulous items, all from the comfort of your own home! All proceeds go to the Rolling Valley PTA. If you happen to have any unused/unexpired gift cards or unused/unopened items lying around, consider donating them. If you own a business and willing to provide items for the auction, we’d love your help. If you would like more information or would like to help, please contact Samantha Rank at Samylee00@gmail.com.
Other Upcoming Events:
- Spirit Event at Chipotle (6230 Rolling Road), Tuesday, 15 February from 5:00 – 9:00 PM. Celebrate Taco Tuesday by dining in or getting takeout at Chipotle in West Springfield. 33% of the proceeds will be donated to RVES! Just show the flyer (in Friday Folders) or mention the fundraiser to ensure that we get credit. Or order online via the Chipotle website or app and use the Promo Code M6MC3LM.
- Spirit Event at Rice & Spice, Evenings from Monday, 14 March through Wednesday, 16 March. Enjoy delicious Thai food from Rice & Spice (6466 Landsdowne Center Drive, Alexandria). RVES will receive a % of the proceeds! Order online at: www.ricespiceva.com. On 14 & 15 March, dine-in or get takeout from the restaurant. Be sure to mention the fundraiser or put the code "RVES" in the special instructions if you order online. On 16 March, if you order by 3:00 PM and put "Wednesday delivery at RVES" in the special instructions – you can pick up your order in the RVES parking lot at 7:00 PM!
- Papa John's 40/10 Give Back! Every Wednesday during the 2021-2022 school year, you can receive 40% off all menu prices at Papa John's - plus, Rolling Valley will receive 10% of the proceeds! Simply use the code RVES4010 when you order online or by phone Offer is valid now through 6/8/22 at Papa John's in West Springfield.
WSES News – nothing heard, but still monitoring.
- 21 February President’s Day / Student Holiday
- 2 March Wednesdays Yard Waste Collection Begins Again
- 4 March FCPS Student Holiday
- 13 March Daylight Savings Time Begins
- 1 April Student Holiday (Teacher Workday)
- 4 – 8 April Holiday (Spring Break)
- 30 May Holiday (Memorial Day)
- 10 June Last Day of School (Early Release)
- 19 June Juneteenth
9. Happy Chinese New Year / Happy Lunar New Year (1 February 2022) – understand from my neighbors that 2022 is the year of the Tiger. Sorry I missed this in last week’s enews, but your help is appreciated for informing me of enews items and articles. .
Stay safe and healthy.