Please slow down on our residential streets, especially when our children are walking or riding bikes to or from school or their bus stops. The 25 MPH speed limit in my wife’s opinion is too fast when the kids are out. I agree with her. Please slow down.
1. Is It Enews, Junk or Spam? – The weekly Village News is dispatched to you from President@westspringfieldvillage.org every Thursday afternoon. If you don’t see it in your inbox, check your junk or suspected spam folders and if not there either – let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org or President@westspringfieldvillage.org. When we don’t receive failed message alerts it probably means the issue is on your side of cyberspace.
Our Webmaster, Bob Havey has prepared instructions on how to retrieve an email from spam and to whitelist the sender for commonly used email providers. He also has provided a separate and specific set of instructions for AOL, Hotmail, and Gmail addresses. Bob or I will forward those instructions to those addresses reporting missed enews. Here’s Bob:
Several people have reported not receiving the weekly enews. Some have managed to find it in their Spam folder, others report that the enews just never arrived. We have convinced the Yahoo folks that we are not spammers. This covers all Verizon.net, AOL.com, and Yahoo.com addresses. It is unlikely that the enews just disappeared, but depending on the email provider, there are several places where it can hide.
1. Because the enews is sent out as a BCC to preserve your privacy, some of the email providers give it a little higher spam score.
2. If you are using Outlook or Thunderbird as an email client, an email can get stopped at the server and you’ll never see it. To avoid some confusion, note that Outlook (a program running on your computer) and outlook.com (a website and the provider of Hotmail.com, msn.com, and outlook.com email addresses) are not the same thing.
3. If you are using Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, or Mac Mail you need to go online to find the missing email and whitelist email@example.com.
4. If you go through a browser (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari) to get your email, you will have to locate the email, move it back to the inbox and whitelist firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. If you are still using Internet Explorer, just stop doing that and switch to one of the currently supported browsers.
After this intro, I am providing a picture book for retrieving the missing emails and whitelisting the enews for Gmail, Verizon/AOL/Yahoo, and Hotmail/msn/outlook.com.
If you need help, my land line is 703/569-7134, but if you need to leave a message, 703/569-8195 works better. My answering service does a wonderful job of getting my messages to me. I’m a little flaky at checking my answering machine. I can be reached by email at email@example.com. Thanks Bob Havey!
2. Contractor Recommendations Needed: If you have had a good experience with a contractor, please recommend him/her to the rest of the village. If you are looking for a contractor – look first at those who advertised in our directory and then look to our website where others have made such recommendations. When negotiating with a contractor, sweeten the deal with your promise to advertise in these weekly enews and on our website – if – and only if - they satisfy you with price, quality of work, timeliness and cleanliness. This week we have neighbors who need:
- Foundation Inspection and Repair if Needed – I know many of you have had this type of work done and also hope you would recommend your contractor to another village resident. Kathy D.?
- Chimney Repair – another neighbor has what appears to be loose bricks at the top of her chimney.
Please send your recommendations to me (firstname.lastname@example.org). I’ll forward to them.
3. Rolling Valley ES PTA News:
- Online Auction – save the dates (Sunday, 27 March – Friday, 1 April). You’ll have the opportunity to bid on a variety of fabulous items...all from the comfort of your own home! All proceeds go to the Rolling Valley PTA. If you happen to have any unused/unexpired gift cards or unused/unopened items lying around, consider donating them. If you own a business and would like to provide items for the auction, we would love your help. If you would like more information or would like to help, please contact Samantha Rank at Samylee00@gmail.com.
- Upcoming Events:
a. Glow Dodgeball Fundraiser - Friday, 28 January. You can drop-off at 6:30 PM at InCourage Martial Arts (8932 Burke Lake Road, Springfield) and pick up at 8:30 PM giving parents a night out while their kids have a blast playing supervised Glow Dodgeball! Cost is $25 per child. 100% of the proceeds go to RVES! No food will be served. Remember to have the kids wear a white shirt to "glow." Space is limited – click here to register today: https://www.mystudio.academy/e/?=7035030101/71///1582577402
b. Spirit Event at Chipotle (6230 Rolling Road), Tuesday, 15 February from 5:00 – 9:00 PM. Celebrate Taco Tuesday by dining in or getting takeout at Chipotle in West Springfield. 33% of the proceeds will be donated to RVES! Just show the flyer (in the Friday Folder) or mention the fundraiser to ensure that we get credit. Or order online via the Chipotle website or app and use the Promo Code M6MC3LM.
c. Spirit Event at Rice & Spice, Evenings from Monday, 14 March through Wednesday, 16 March. Enjoy delicious Thai food from Rice & Spice (6466 Landsdowne Center Drive, Alexandria). RVES will receive a % of the proceeds! Order online at: www.ricespiceva.com. On 14 & 15 March, dine-in or get takeout from the restaurant. Be sure to mention the fundraiser or put the code "RVES" in the special instructions if you order online. On 16 March, if you order by 3:00 PM and put "Wednesday delivery at RVES" in the special instructions – you can pick up your order in the RVES parking lot at 7:00 PM!
d. Papa John's 40/10 Give Back! EVERY Wednesday during the 2021-2022 school year, you can receive 40% off all menu prices at Papa John's - plus, Rolling Valley will receive 10% of the proceeds! Simply use the code RVES4010 when you order online or by phone. Offer is valid now through 6/8/22 at Papa John's in West Springfield.
We want to include Mustang news from West Springfield ES or its PTA, but I don’t have an email address for any on the PTA Board. Do you?
4. Facebook Group - If you aren’t in the Facebook Group, I encourage you to join. To do so - go to FB, login and then search for West Springfield Village. When you get there, you will have to ask to join it. Why? It is a closed group free of unsolicited advertisements and the other junk that has infected NextDoor. Group Moderator Wendi Dorey manages this site to protect your privacy. You don’t have to post; you can simply read what others have to say. Subscribers in the group have provided information about lost or found pets, police activity, route closings and items for sale or free.
5. Report Streetlight Outages: You can report an outage online here - 3 Easy Steps to Report Streetlight Outages | News Center (fairfaxcounty.gov). It is helpful to include the pole number, but it van be found on the light’s pole and also can be found on a map at that same website. The light in front of my home is C0612/MM5500.
- 21 February President’s Day / Student Holiday
- 2 March Wednesdays Yard Waste Collection Begins Again
- 4 March FCPS Student Holiday
- 13 March Daylight Savings Time Begins
- 1 April Student Holiday (Teacher Workday)
- 4 – 8 April Holiday (Spring Break)
- 30 May Holiday (Memorial Day)
- 10 June Last Day of School (Early Release)
- 19 June Juneteenth
7. Happy Birthdays – My sister-in-law Anjie Walker Cooley and her brother-in-law, my baby brother Joe Cooley
Stay safe and healthy good people.
John Cooley, CAWSV