Merry Christmas Neighbor / Friend!
Hope we all enjoy a Happy and virus-free New Year!
1. Holiday Decorating Contest – thanks to those who judged and voted. Many of our homes are exceptionally well decorated. Notice the difference in what the judges were looking for by those homes that received at least one first place vote: 6702 Ontario, 6808 Ontario, 6912 Ontario, 6805 Landor, 7905 SVD and 8135 SVD. The winners are:
- 1st Place - Don & Susan Cheney, 6702 Ontario Street
- 2nd Place – Bill & Carrie Mast, 6805 Landor Lane
- 3rd Place – John & Carol Baccari – 6808 Ontario Street
- Honorable Mention (in random order): 7000 Elkton, 7006 Barnack, 6823 Barnack, 7905 SVD, 6912 Ontario, 8141 Edmonton, 7004 Vancouver, 8135 SVD, 6813 Brisbane, 7009 Barnack, 6811 Hathaway, 6710 Barnack, 6703 Ontario, 7000 SVC and 8111 SVD.
2. Advertising in our Village Directory – Consider advertising your business or the one where you work in our next directory. Those ads help cover the costs that would otherwise be prohibitive. Here are the ad rates for the 2022 directory:
- Back Cover - $325
- Inside Front Cover - $250
- Inside Back Cover - $250
- Full Page - $150
- Half Page - $125
If you have interest or questions, contact Steve at Printing Ideas (firstname.lastname@example.org). He will help with your ad if you need him. When folks ask me for a contractor or business recommendation, I direct them first to those who advertised in our directory. We also post those ads to our website and include our thanks at least twice in the enews during the year.
3. Directory Delivery – we’ll need volunteers to help deliver the directory to CAWSV members door-to-door during January once Steve at Printing Ideas finishes the run. Time investment will be 45 minutes tops. This is a suitable service project for older kids. We’ll leave the directory near front doors much like package deliverers do. Once you have reviewed the 2022 edition, please provide our Directory Editor Andrea Lewis your comments.
Members get the directory at no cost. If you did not join our civic association, you can still purchase a copy of the directory for $10.00. That also comes with a free membership for the rest of this fiscal/membership year. See me.
4. Teresa’s Gift-Wrapping Service – Teresa Weir (SVD) is again offering her service to wrap your gifts for very modest prices. If you provide the paper, boxes and tags, her prices are small gifts $2.00, medium $3.00 and large will be $4.00. Pick up and drop off services are also available for up to $500 depending on your location. Call or text Teresa at 703/582-7469. Instead, you may want to email her at email@example.com.
5. Street Sign Maintenance – click here to report an issue - Street Name Sign Maintenance Form | Public Works and Environmental Services (fairfaxcounty.gov). The street sign at Vancouver and Landor has been reported and scheduled for repair.
6. Free - Susan Riedinger (Bluefield Court) – has these pictured items to give to anyone who may want/need them. Contact Susan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Scoop Your Dog Droppings – Not only is what responsible pet owners do; what human decency requires - it’s also the law. I suspect those who ignore this civil responsibility don’t read these enews messages, but whenever we receive a complaint – I include the same old request to pick up the poop, please!
- 21 December Winter Solstice (longest night in 2021, but now daylight begin to get longer)
- 3 January FCPS Classes Resume
- 17 January Martin Luther King, Jr Birthday
- 21-24 January FCPS Student Holiday
- 21 February President’s Day / Student Holiday
- 2 March Wednesday Collections of Yard Waste Begins
- 4 March FCPS Student Holiday
- 13 March Daylight Savings Time Begins
Enjoy the holidays but also stay safe. Merry Christmas!