We’re now about 2/3 the way to funding our proposed FY23 Spend Plan/ Budget. It takes 350 members to cover those expected costs.
1. CAWSV Membership – Thank you for joining our civic association or for renewing your membership. You are paid in full and should have received an email receipt. Let me know if we missed you. Please help spread the word especially to the new neighbors.
2. Membership Meeting – 7:30 PM, 13 October either on the front porch at 8131 Edmonton Court or some form of online meeting if the weather does not cooperate (and right now it is looking iffy). Besides voting on your next Board of Directors, we will also vote to ratify the FY22 Audit and vote again to approve a FY23 Budget Proposal with markups as necessary. Please note that Executive Council members are appointed by the BOD – no vote required.
3. President@westspringfieldvillage.org – Anything related to the CAWSV should now be sent only to that address. Effective next week, that email will go to your next CAWSV President, Jeff Fasceski. Jeff can also be reached at email@example.com.
Anything meant specifically for me should now be sent only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Auditor Needed – if you can balance your family’s checkbook – you can audit our financial records. It takes less than one hour and normally completed before you finish just one of my beers. Hoping to do the audit early next week in an evening, but have to have it done and the report signed by Thursday evening, 13 October.
5. Rolling Valley Haunted House & Fun Fair – Tickets Now on Sale! The RVES PTA is thrilled to bring back the Haunted House & Fun Fair on Saturday, October 22 from 4:30-8:30pm! This longstanding community tradition is one of our biggest fundraisers and is fun for all ages. Purchase your tickets online by 18 October and receive a discount: https://rvespta.ptboard.com/formvw?store=2954&form=4
6. Oktoberfest – was postponed last Saturday due to weather. Check out the Oktoberfest tab at www.villagewestpool.com. I hope this goes knowing that it is great family fun with food and drink, live music, games, contests, kids' activities, and raffles! Questions, email email@example.com.
7. Virginia Tax Rebate – Some have already received a rebate by direct deposit, but not us by mail yet. If you aren’t familiar with this program – Google search for it or go to our website (West Springfield Village) and look for the 22 September enews edition. Someone asked if we need to pay taxes on the rebate. Here’s what I found - If you itemized your deductions, you may be required to report the rebate amount you received as income on your federal return. You’ll receive a Form 1099G in the mail, just like you would if you received a state tax refund. If you took the standard deduction, you won’t need to take any additional action on your federal return related to the rebate.
8. Friends of Pohick Library Fall Book Sale – from Jim Kirkpatrick (Sandover Court), 7 – 9 October. This will be a big one! Shop for bargains from a huge selection and find your new favorite books! Proceeds benefit the Friends of Pohick Library, and you won't find these low prices anywhere else. Friday and Saturday 10:00 - 5:00. Sunday 12:00 - 3:00. On Sunday you can fill a bag with books and only pay $5.00.
9. Bruce & Suzanne Slawter’s Trip - You are invited to view the photo albums and a video of their recent trip to Switzerland and the northwest corner of Italy. Just click on the following links:
- Zurich and the Jungfrau Region, central Switzerland:
- Zermatt and the Matterhorn of the Swiss Canton of Valais in the South:
- Lago di Maggiore in Northwest Italy:
- Biking the Matterhorn (video): https://youtu.be/0YE8Jtexj8g
NOTE – thanks to Bruce & Suzanne for sharing. In my opinion, this is what the enews should be – stories and information about us and those things that affect us, our lives, and our children.
- 10 October – Columbus Day or Indigenous Peoples’ Day
- 13 October – General Membership Meeting (elect new Board of Directors, ratify FY22 Audit, Pass FY23 Budget with markups as needed.
- 1 November – FY23 Membership Drive ends even though residents can still join anytime during the Fiscal Year.
- 8 November – Election Day - maybe then the emails and phone calls will stop.
- 11 November – Veterans Day
11. For Sale - Interstate LoadRunner Trailer, 6X10”, single axle, with built in shelves. It tracks / trailers very well and has only a few miles on the road. Asking $4500. Contact Shelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703/451-2227. Come see it at 8129 Edmonton Court.
12. Free – Last call, I promise, but while you are next door looking at that trailer, come to our home also! There you’ll find lots of free stuff.
- One queen bed complete with frame, box spring and mattress.
- Two twin beds, both have side rails and are stackable to make bunk beds. Includes bed, frame, side rails, and stain-free mattresses.
- 1 Chest of Drawers suitable for garage stuff or for kids’ toys
- 2 Love Seat Sofas – perfect for smaller, narrower rooms such as in our Cape Cod (King Model) home or dorm rooms or the like.
- And lots of free stuff on our front porch waiting for AmVets to come collect it. You are welcome to any or all of it. While here, come inside to have a walk through to see even more!
Correction – I transcribed a name wrong in recent article. He is Bob Havey – not what I wrote and is truly a computer whisperer. His D2D Computer Services ad is in our 2022 Community Directory
I admit to being spoiled by military moves (if that was even possible), but this one is on us, and it is chaos! Plan now is to pack on 13 October, load and go on 14 October and I will head west week of 17 October. Suzanne will ride the big iron bird on/about 15 October to get to Monument, CO to receive our goods.