Dear Neighbor / Friend,
1. CAWSV Membership – The last reminder for this FY22 membership drive has been dispatched. As of today’s mail, we have 301 members or 49 short of objective. We’ll be fine with finances assuming the virus will continue to curtail certain events. Thank you again for joining or renewing your membership in our civic association. Each and all of us benefit from our association and the benefits we have obtained by speaking for many, but with one voice. If you want to learn more about those benefits – email me or come sit on my porch to talk.
2. Halloween - If you’re planning on handing out treats to children this Sunday evening (Halloween) – turn on your outside lights to let the kids know that your home is in the game. And when you’re done, or your candy dish is empty – turn off your outside lights. Of course, all of us will do what we can to distribute treats safely. Fairfax County assembled a good, single source guide to Halloween safety - Your Guide to Halloween 2021 in Fairfax County | News Center. Check it out.
3. No-Excuse Needed Early Voting – Last day to vote early is this Saturday, 30 October. Until then, you can vote at:
- Fairfax County Government Center
- Mount Vernon Governmental Center
- North County Governmental Center
- West Springfield Governmental Center at 6140 Rolling Road
- 12 other satellite sites that can be found here.
Hours of operation:
- Weekdays: Fairfax County Government Center 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM. All other locations 12:00 Noon - 7:00 PM
- Saturday (30 October) - All locations 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
Regular voting at normal polling stations is next Tuesday, 2 November. Rolling Valley ES is the polling station for those on the west side of Rolling Road, West Springfield ES for those on the east of RR. More on voting can be found here.
4. Leaf Raking /Dog Walking/Baby Sitting/Mother’s Helper, etc – We need more names on our registry of those willing to do these type tasks to include house-sitting and snow shovelling. Whether you or your children are willing to help others for pay or simply to help, please let me know along with our webmaster, Bob Havey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are looking for help, first check out the list at our website, www.westspringfieldvillage.org in the “Neighborhood Chores” in the “Resources” Box halfway down the homepage on the left-hand side. There is no charge for your family members to be listed there and we’ll even advertise your willingness in future enews editions.
5. Community Service Supporting Toys for Tots – Michael Murray (Bluefield Court) is a freshman at West Springfield HS, and a cadet with the Air Force Junior ROTC. He and his Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) unit are supporting the Marine Corps’ “Toys for Tots” program. Toys for Tots is a well-known program that provides toys for needy children As you may know, the program aims to collect new, unwrapped toys. Michael’s JROTC unit has a collection box in their flight room and all in his unit are participating as part of their community service duty. Michael is asking for donations to this great cause this holiday season. He will come to your home “in uniform” to collect your donation and deliver it to his flight room, and them later to a Marine Corps facility for distribution to the needy children. As a reminder, the toys must be new, unwrapped and may not, in any way, represent anything military. He can stop by you home to collect toys on 20 November and 4 December. Michael will also accept cash donations (payable to Michael Murray) to shop for toys in your stead. If you have questions or want to donate a toy or money, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.
- 28 – 30 October – last days to vote early at West Springfield Government Center
- 1 & 2 November – Student Holidays
- 2 November – Election Day
- 7 November – Daylight Savings Time ends
- 11 November – Veterans Day
- 24, 25 & 26 November – Student Holidays
- 25 November – Thanksgiving Day
Stay safe, dry, and limber up those leaf rakes!