September 24, 2023
Hello everyone. The Membership Drive is in full effect. Thanks to those who have renewed. Also, thanks to LaVonne O’Brien for the beautiful pumpkin on my front porch when she tested the new drop box.
If your neighbors have been out of town this weekend, please check their yards/houses for any possible damage due to the storms. I did not see much driving around our area, but a big pine tree fell on both directions of Rolling Rd closer to Burke Lake Rd.
1 – Early Voting has started
2 – Location of October 12 Meeting now TBD
3 – Village West Pool Oktoberfest – Saturday, September 30
4 – School Board Meet and Greet – Wednesday, October 4, 7-9PM
5 – Looking for a Vice President for CAWSV
6 – CAWSV Membership Renewal Drive
7 - Calendar
1 – Early Voting for the November 7 Election started on Friday. Here is some information about it:
In-person and mail-in early voting will continue through November 4, the Saturday before Election Day.
For those voting by mail, remember to mail your ballot by October 31. If you or someone you know needs to register or update your voter registration, check out the Virginia Department of Elections' Registration page.
If you plan to vote early in person, the Government Center (12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax) is open from September 22 - November 4 at the following times:
- Weekdays 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Saturdays (September 23, October 28, November 4) 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday (Only October 29) 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
For a full list of all Fairfax County early voting sites, visit the County's Early Voting website.
2 – I spoke too soon last time about securing the Rolling Valley Elementary School for our Annual Meeting on October 12. The PTA has a conflict with letting us use their Insurance in October. I asked about using the Pool Pavilion like we did for the Spring Meeting, but they will have it filled with equipment/furniture as they shut down and clean up the pool for the off-season.
If anyone has a big front deck or front yard and want to volunteer to host the meeting, please let me know. I will provide some snacks and beverages. Otherwise, I will offer up my place as a last resort.
3 – The Village West Pool will be on Saturday, October 30. Here is some information form their newsletters:
On Saturday, September 30, 2023, the Village West Pool grounds will be transformed into a land of Bavaria, with food, drinks, music, and raffle prizes! All are invited, members and non-members, so bring your friends! German Fare provided by local Chef Kevin Arwood. Special live music from local band The Daily Jobs.
Discounted presale tickets are available through Thursday, September 27. See the complete menu and get your presale meal deal and raffle tickets at this link: Oktoberfest!
We can't make this event happen without LOTS of help. You can work a shift and still attend the event! Sign up to volunteer at this link: Volunteer: Oktoberfest 2023 Volunteer hours from Oktoberfest can be credited to either 2023 or 2024.
Electric roasters: We need to borrow a couple of these for the event. I'll be happy to pick up and drop off. Email me if you can help.
Look at all these raffle prizes! We have prizes from:
- DiRocco Italian Eatery
- Nando's Peri Peri
- Paint Ur Heart Out
- Think Fun
- Glory Days
- El Paso Mexican Restaurant
- Ledo Pizza
- The Garden
- Springfield Butcher
- Yard House
- Seasonal Roots
...and more! Be sure to get yourself a package of discount raffle tickets! We are still accepting raffle prizes, so if there is something you can contribute, let us know!
4 – School Boar Meet and Greet – from a resident:
West Springfield Village residents and friends are invited to Springfield Country Club on Wednesday, October 4 at 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm to meet School Board candidates for the upcoming election. Recent controversial policies have gotten the attention of parents and grandparents with a desire to have board members who will stand with parents and a wish to restore Fairfax County schools high ratings. Among those in attendance are Debra Tisler, Priscilla Destefano, Kevin Pinckney, Cassandra Aucoin, Maureen Brody, and Saundra Dav.
5 – If you are interested in running for Vice President of the Civic Association and have any questions, feel free to contact me. Send me an email at email@example.com . You can let me know in advance or state your desire to run at the meeting on October 12. If you want to run and cannot attend the meeting, you can give me a speech I can read out to those who attend.
There have not been any real duties for this position, but I would like to add a couple of tasks during the year to help me keep things in track and to
6 – CAWSV Membership Renewal Drive
A few things about the membership renewal:
· Please note that the $1 transaction fee is ONLY for using PayPal to renew. If you give or mail me cash or check, there is no $1 fee.
· PayPal is the only online payment format. We do not have Venmo, Zelle, or any other online payment method. You can see if your bank offers electronic checks to be mailed to our P.O. Box.
· I installed a locked box on my front railing (6919 Vancouver Rd) over the weekend if you want to drop off a payment and renewal form and save a stamp You can even paperclip things together and save an envelope. This is wht you will see when you walk up to my door:
o I will add blank renewal forms in a plastic bag and a few pens this week in the bottom slot. This box is under 24/7 video surveillance and is bolted to the railing.
o It was tested by one of our neighbors while I was away this morning, and it was a success! Lift the lid on top and insert your payment/form into the slot.
o You do not need to ring my doorbell. I will be notified that someone approached my door.
· If you want to ask if you are in good standing, click my email address – firstname.lastname@example.org – and send me an email with something relevant to asking about membership status in the subject line. If you reply to a newsletter email and ask, there is a very good chance you will get a response in about a week instead of a day or two. Just ask the dozen or so people who replied to the last newsletter email about their membership standing.
· The Google Form to submit a renewal form electronically can be found at https://forms.gle/HrPJQdiuRjeE4cYv7 . If you sent a PayPal payment and did not fill out the form, please do so now. I will be checking this week and sending out emails about it. A pdf of the renewal form can be found on the community website – www.westspringfieldvillage.org . I do not have the tech savvy to make it a fillable form. Maybe next year.
· Here are the links for renewing on PayPal:
o Renew for 1 year - $11 (FY24)
o Renew for 2 years - $21 (FY24 & FY25)
o Renew for 3 years - $31 (FY24, FY24 & FY26)
o Checks can be made out to “CAWSV” and mailed to PO Box 2204, Springfield, VA 22152, or you can drop it off at my place to save a stamp.
7 – Calendar
9/30 – Village West Pool Oktoberfest
10/4 – School Board Meet and Greet
10/10 – Columbus Day, Indigenous Peoples’ Day
10/12 – 7:30PM - Annual Meeting